Do you want to go onboard?
Receive job offers
Apply to various jobs
Get job updates
10-Step Guide to Your Dream Onboard Job
The Filipino seafarers are among the most sought-after workers worldwide making the Philippines the manning capital of the world. In fact, our country has been the largest provider of seafarers since 1987 according to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). To date, there are nearly 400,000 Filipino officers, ratings and service providers employed in the international maritime industry.
As the demand remains high, SeamanJobsite.com prepared a 10-step guide to help aspiring seafarers sail their way toward their overseas onboard jobs through POEA-licensed manning agencies.
Below are the 10 easy steps to secure your seafaring career:
1. Start your job search. Discover thousands of seafaring jobs and fulfill your ambitions with the help of SeamanJobsite.com, a website where hundreds of POEA-licensed manning agencies post their urgent and latest job vacancies.
2. Attend the job interview. Remember to dress appropriately. Be in your maritime uniform and prepare your ready documents and credentials to make a good impression.
3. Undergo the required maritime training based on the role you are applying for. To successfully get the onboard job, it is important that you have the right skill set and knowledge. Undergo the required training from any of the accredited training centers to obtain the necessary certificate.
4. Submit the necessary documents. Submit the complete set of required documents including your passport, school credentials, SIRB, and training certificate to your manning agency.
5. Sign the contract. Read and understand the details carefully before signing the contract so that you are aware of your rights, obligations, and benefits. Feel free to approach the recruitment officer if you have questions or clarifications about the contract. Remember that you and your employer cannot change any of the stipulations once you both sign it.
6. Complete the medical exam. The seafarer’s medical examinations are more meticulous and strict compared to other employment medical examinations. Make sure that you have a good physical condition including your dental and visual health.
7. Acquire the required visa, work permit and Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). The manning agency will process these undertakings to acquire all the essential documents on your behalf. Visa type and permits to secure will vary according to your ship’s destination. Likewise in this stage, your OWWA membership, PhilHealth, SSS, and Pag-IBIG contributions must be settled.
8. Attend the Pre-Deployment Orientation Seminar (PDOS). If your onboard role is international, attend the Pre-Deployment Orientation Seminar (PDOS) before joining your new crew. Here, you will learn more about the maritime industry in the Philippines, the seafarer’s duties and obligations, travel tips, vessels, and more.
9. Airline Bookings and Flight Confirmation. To join the crew, you need to travel to the country where the ship docks. To do so, the manning agency will purchase and book tickets for your destination including air, bus and railway tickets, if necessary.
10. Join the crew. The embarkation process will be pre-arranged by the manning agency to assure that you will go on board and start your new job smoothly.
Now that you know how your seafaring job application should go, startup your dream career with SeamanJobsite.com and discover thousands of job opportunities for Filipino seafarers.